Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know that the "which distro?" question is well beyond old and tired but I want to ask based on a few criteria. I'm looking for the distro that has ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Qualified "which distro?" question

I know that the "which distro?" question is well beyond old and tired but I want to ask based on a few criteria. I'm looking for the distro that has the best combination of the following:

1. Native NTFS support - rwx
    2. Easy to use
    3. Easy to install
    4. Popular - only for the purpose of easily being able to find support in forums, wikis, etc.
    6. Stable with wide support for different hardware, specifically my ever-problematic ATI video card.

I am currently using Fedora 5 and have major problems with NTFS - have never really been able to get it to wx, only r (using ntfs-3g). I also get "spinlock recursion" errors after connecting a second NTFS drive that I have not been able to get past. I have heard that Ubuntu is a pretty simple and user friendly distro but will it give me what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately your questions don't really narrow down the search very much. Statements like "easy to use" and "easy to install" are completely subjective, which is why we tend to lock conversations like this. They go around in circles with everyone throwing in their two cents and never really help the initial poster.

As for your native NTFS question... I'm not sure there is any distribution out there that has native write support by default. I feel your pain on the ATI drivers, however support for that is completely up to ATI, not the individual distributions, so you're going to have trouble regardless of your choice simply by the closed-source nature of the official drivers.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Ok, so how about 4 and 6 (which should have been labeled 4 and 5... whoops)?

Is NTFS-3G the best way to go for NTFS rwx?

Quote Originally Posted by mateoc15
    Ok, so how about 4 and 6 (which should have been labeled 4 and 5... whoops)?
    Well, a good way to look for popular distros is with DistroWatch. They have a table on the right side that ranks distributions by how many people visited their profiles on the site that day. That will tell you which distributions are getting the most interest... but not necessarily which ones are "best" for you. Generally speaking the more popular a distribution the better chance at it having a thriving forum/wiki/support community.

Hardware support depends entirely on the hardware. You're not going to get any better support for ATI from a different distro, as I stated above. However a lot of other hardware components have open-source drivers and are included with most major distributions. Is there anything in particular other than your video card that's giving you trouble?

Is NTFS-3G the best way to go for NTFS rwx?
    I could be wrong, but as far as I know NTFS-3g is the only way to get reliable write support off an NTFS partition in Linux. Most Linuxes will read from it just fine out of the box, however.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I haven't tried it yet myself, but I would suspect Sabyonlinux might be what you're looking for. I bleieve they include both open source and proprietary drivers for ATI and nVidia and (I could be wrong) ntfs-3g too. It gained popularity as a live disk for compiz/beryl but I believe it has matured beyond that.

The only thing is that it is Gentoo based so if it is still using emerge it might be a little time consuming to install new software.