Find the answer to your Linux question:
Set up a system using an external scsi cd-writer for a friend on his W98 box so he can copy his stuff on audio cassette to cds to play in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Help with Knoppix

Set up a system using an external scsi cd-writer for a friend on his W98 box so he can copy his stuff on audio cassette to cds to play in his car. He was happy with it. However the pc imploded (yay!) and he got another PII one running W2000. Problem is that the shuttle drivers for the external cd-writer only work up to W98. HD is only 4Gb as well.

No probs methinks, I'll bung in a cd-writer for him and also a spare 8Gb HD I had going. However, being a Dell desktop box there's no extra power lead for running the spare HD.

Ah! A linux moment. Whip out the original HD, bung in me spare and install Knoppix! Just happened to have a Knoppix 3.3 with me. Some people carry a first aid kit, some condoms, me I carry Knoppix. </sad git>.

Anyways, on goes the Knoppix 3.3 and it installs without so much as a murmur.

Now I've got to show him what software to use and how to do what he wants to do. He's computer illiterate in many ways but as long as I show him he'll be fine.

Problem is there's no grip installed on the system and he has no internet connection. So how can I get a gui ripper onto his system? cdparanoia is not really an option unless someone can write it down step by step for me/him. Also need something to write tags to the encoded ogg files. Any ideas?

Ta.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    * cough *
    Lansbury's Lido

Linux Engineer
    * cough * cough *

Perhaps I need to expand

How do I find out the dependencies required of grip in tar.gz format, assuming that's gonna be easier to install than a .deb on a pc with no net access?

Ta.
    Lansbury's Lido

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Here are the dependancies of the .deb package http://packages.debian.org/unstable/gnome/grip about installing it sorry i haven't got a clue

Linux Engineer
    Cheers markj.

It dosn't look good though, there's a lot of dependencies there .

Next Q - Is there a default ripper of some sort on Knoppix 3.3?
    Lansbury's Lido

Just Joined!
    im not sure about the default ripper but you could try and remaster knoppix to include grip here's a howto http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto