Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone A couple of years ago, after I had added a DVD drive to my windows 98 computer, my storage hard disk (not the booting disk) became inaccessible (via ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FAT data-recovery with TestDisk

Hi Everyone

A couple of years ago, after I had added a DVD drive to my windows 98 computer, my storage hard disk (not the booting disk) became inaccessible (via both Windows and Knoppix live CD). I hadn't touched the disk so I wasn't too worried. That windows 98 install was on it's last legs, and, as I knew I would never have another Windows computer, I decided to leave the disk aside and deal with it in the future after I had moved to GNU/Linux.

That computer is now running Ubuntu and the problematic disk is /dev/hdb, but it is not mountable.

I set to work on it with PhotoRec and TestDisk. I know the data is there and intact as I have been able to copy most of it off with PhotoRec (but out of sequence and without filenames).

TestDisk cannot find any trace of a partition table via "Analyse" or "Search!" but it is able to list the filenames of the data.

The disk is a Maxtor 80 GB, installed in 2003 by a local Mom & Pop computer store which I now realise may not have been particularly conscientious. Could they have installed the disk without putting a partition on it? Is that even possible?

This is all the information that TestDisk has provided:

Disk /dev/hdb - 81 GB / 76 GiB - CHS 158816 16 63, sector size=512

When I run TestDisk telling it the disk has Intel type partitions it returns no info at all. When I run it telling it that the disk has no partitions it returns:

P Unknown 0 0 1 158815 15 63 160086528

Where do I go from here? Is it possible, given this information, to write partition information etc to the disk to make it mountable?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

...my storage hard disk became inaccessible...
    Can you describe in as much detail as [reasonably] possible what occurred that caused this? Also, what is the nature of the evidence exibited?

Could they have installed the disk without putting a partition on it?
    No.

Is that even possible?
    No. (Understand the context.)

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    You might try:

Code:
    fsck -t vfat /dev/hdb
    (No guarantees... )

Quote Originally Posted by hmorris
    That computer is now running Ubuntu and the problematic disk is /dev/hdb, but it is not mountable.
    does output of 'sudo fdisk -l' command display /dev/hdb? post its output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    The cause is a mystery to me. All I did was change the disk from slave on one IDE connector to slave on the other. I didn't execute any commands on it at all.

The output of "fsck -t vfat /dev/hdb" is:

fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
    dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
    Both FATs appear to be corrupt. Giving up.

The output of "fdisk -l" regarding /dev/hdb is:

Disk /dev/hdb: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes
    16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 158816 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

(With no information under these headings)

One interesting entry form the TestDisk log is:

disk_get_geometry BLKGETSIZE64 /dev/hdb number of cylinders 65535 != 158816 (calculated)

Is that important? Should I do anything about it?

Thanks for your help.

hdb harddisk is not partitioned or partition table has been corrupted. if there isn't any important data in it, i suggest you to repartition harddisk. you can use GParted LiveCD fot that. GParted is one of the best partition manager and its very easy create/resize/delete partitions with it.

Just Joined!
    The data is important enough for me to make a determined effort to recover it intact. Especially as I know it 's on there.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help. I don't think I need a system-rescue CD. The computer has a working Ubuntu install on it. It's just the one disk I'm having problems with.

did you really check the System Rescue CD's link?
    UBCD and SRCD have a lot of partition recovery, harddisk scanning and fixing tools.

Just Joined!
    OK. I see those tools are in the Ubuntu repositories. I'll have a go at them later. Thanks.