Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a strange request. I've never done this before, so I don't know if it is possible. First, I'll set up the scenario. 1) I have a Windows XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cool FTP to SSH

I have a strange request. I've never done this before, so I don't know if it is possible. First, I'll set up the scenario.

1) I have a Windows XP laptop (work) that I will be using this weekend to log into remote computers on a customer site (we'll call them Sprant). I have to run a few commands, and FTP the files to my laptop. Some of these files are quite large and my laptop hard drive has only 40 GB (15 GB remaining).
    2) My home computer has Suse Linux with a 110 GB hard drive and and external 150 GB hard drive and both have probably a combined 200 GB free. My home computer can not get into the customer's network to ftp files from them.
    3) Now, what I really want to do: I want know if there is a way to set up a FTP connection to the remote customer computer, and tunnel it through my connection in to my home computer which only has SSH enabled?

To hopefully clarify:

ftp customer.site.com
    remote directory = /some/directory
    local directory = ssh user@home.computer.com

Can this be done?

Thank you in advance,

Cherokee Kid

Linux Enthusiast
    Port forwarding seems to be what you are after. A quick search turned up this article on ssh port forwarding.

From my understanding of your post, you want to be at your work PC and use remote port forwarding.

Code:
    work:$ ssh -R 2121:customer.site.com:21 user@home.computer.com
    home:$ ftp localhost 2121
    Should set you up correctly. The customer site will see the connection as coming from your work computer, and the home to work part of it will be protected by ssh.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Thank you. I will try it.

In the words of Jim Carey,

"This is B E A utifil"

I've tried to get a real world example of when I would need tunneling, and this is proof positive for me that I understand tunneling.

Thank you again.