• win98

1 8.33%
  • msdos

4 33.33%
  • LINUX

0 0%
  • other

1 8.33%
after being continualy p***** off with windozes' "this program has performed an ......" messages i have decided to give it the boot and just keep linux, but i am unsure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

which distro?

after being continualy p***** off with windozes' "this program has performed an ......" messages i have decided to give it the boot and just keep linux, but i am unsure which distro and what version to go with.
    my redhat 9 shrike is painfully slow on a medocino AKA celeron 333 with 64 mb ram (groan) system.
    i need a distro which is; fast, app loaded, easy to install, and easy to maintain (which will be a welcome change from microslop's windoze 98% annoying)
    any advise would be GREAT as i don't want to have to venture into windoze EVER AGAIN!!!!!!
    by the way it will have to be able to run winodows' apps through wine at a decent speed.
    Cry out for freedom! Cry out for Linux!

Linux User
    hehehe.. . with those specs you gave, i once installed Red Hat Linux 6.1, with X running at a fairly decent speed. just at par with the windows 95/98 at that time. or was it? hmmmm.. . it was even a Cyrix 300, yes.

you could have any distro run very fast before you could say "gill bates" without X running. i have Red Hat 9 too ,now, X and all, and i only have a 0.75 Ghz for a CPU, with 256mb of DDRAM.

Registered User #345074

Just Joined!
    well, personally i've used every Windows from 3.1-2k3 Server, so i've seen them all really, but my absolute first one was 98 on my first box. 350mhz PII 64mb SDRAM PC100 I believe,8gb hd, 40x cd rom, i believe the Abit-BH6 board, some crap video card, and probably some crap sound too. Now it's straight Gentoo on this box, which is AthlonXP 2200+ 512mb DDR pc2100 40gb hdd, 40x cd writer, 16x dvd rom, a Soltek board, GeForce FX 5600 Ultra, and an SBLive! 512.

Interesting/drastic change from 4 years huh?

Just Joined!
    I first used Win95 only because I didn't know about any other oses becides win and mac ....I like red hat....