Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey I just got around to trying out RedHat 8.0 and I'm running into problems with RPM packages. I'm building a webserver with ProFTPD, Apache, MySQL and I don't like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

redhat 8.0 RPM issues

hey I just got around to trying out RedHat 8.0 and I'm running into problems with RPM packages. I'm building a webserver with ProFTPD, Apache, MySQL and I don't like to install the versions of those right off the install disks, because they're bound to be at least a little bit out of date. With older versions of RedHat, I'd just install the OS, then go get the latest RPMs for ProFTPD, Apache and MySQL, (usually from www.rpmfind.net) and install them. That doesn't seem to work anymore.

The latest attempt was installing MySQL from an RPM. Here was my result:
    error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
    No word as to WHY it couldn't create it.... I was logged in as root, so it shouldn't be a permissions issue (I don't think it should anyway).

When I tried installing ProFTPD, I got this:
    warning: proftpd-1.2.4-fr2.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID e42d547b
    and I haven't the slightest idea what it's talking about. Grrr.... What's interesting is that when I rebooted the box, I noticed ProFTPD was installed and running! Huh?

Help?

Linux Guru
    About that last thing (about proftpd) it seems it was just a warning (probably about the cryptographic packet signing), so that explains why it was tunning anyways. It's strange, though, that it didn't confirm with you whether or not to continue if it was about packet signing.
    That first error seems strange enought though... could you run a strace of the installation?

Linux User
    Redhat 8.0 checks DSA signatures to verify where they came from - you can set RPM up to not install them if they dont I believe...
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close