Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I cloned my Fedora 4 server hard disk (20GB) to a larger one (160GB) through the dd command. The process went ok but I have some problems about how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dd cloning to a larger disk partition resize question

Hello,
    I cloned my Fedora 4 server hard disk (20GB) to a larger one (160GB) through the dd command. The process went ok but I have some problems about how to resize the partitions on the new disk (the reason of cloning was to have more space for /home and /usr, server is an egroupware installation)

The disks have this structure:
    /dev/hda /
    /dev/hda1 /boot
    /dev/hda2 /usr
    /dev/hda3 /home

plus an LVM. And this is where problems begin. I used the gparted live cd to try and resize but I got an error and I could only expand the LVM. I tried to do so but the remaining space (the famous 140GB) still appeared as not allocated...And anyway my goal is expanding /home and /usr which is not permitted.

I understand very little about LVM management so I would really appreciate some help from you to successfully resize my partitions and have my server up and running again with 140GB more.

Thank you

Just Joined!

general method of cloning linux

You can always clone it by using tar/sfdisk/fdisk/RIP commands, that's the universal method for cloning Linux, you can refer to my article at Linux Technical Resources: <font color=blue>Cloning a Linux server - scenery 2</font> and some other methods for cloning Linux.