Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Friends, I am very newer to Linux. I want to build an rpm package from one .exe file. Is it possible to build an .rpm file from .exe file? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile How can I build RPM from .exe file

Hi Friends,

I am very newer to Linux. I want to build an rpm package from one .exe file. Is it possible to build an .rpm file from .exe file? Please help me.

Your help will be highly appreciated...

Thanks & Regards,

Sujay

Is it a Windows application? You will need to have access to the source code, and be willing to port some of the code to a Linux/POSIX environment. Exe's don't run natively in Linux as they are for DOS/Windows and occasionally OS/2.

Quote Originally Posted by SujayKanneboina View Post
    Hi Friends,

I am very newer to Linux. I want to build an rpm package from one .exe file. Is it possible to build an .rpm file from .exe file? Please help me.

Your help will be highly appreciated...

Thanks & Regards,

Sujay
    The answer is not straightforward, because I'm not sure what you want.

A .exe file is a windows executable, and hence will not run natively on Linux.

An RPM file is a package or install distribution of a particular application or component.

They are not the same thing by a long way.

You could wrap a .exe file up in an RPM to install under Linux, but it wont execute without an intermediate system like Wine which is allows some windows executables to run.

If the file is a self-extracting windows archive, and you just want to repackage it, then you need to extract it on a windows machine. It may be possible to extract it with the 'unzip' tool in Linux, but no guarantees here.

If you add some more information, we may be able to help more.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/