Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
There are certain sites which I go to which will forward me to ( DO NOT CLICK FOLLOWING LINK...MIGHT BE SPYWARE) trk10.logger.co.kr Also, for a while, every time I tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Spyware on Linux?

There are certain sites which I go to which will forward me to (DO NOT CLICK FOLLOWING LINK...MIGHT BE SPYWARE) trk10.logger.co.kr

Also, for a while, every time I tried to go to www.google.com, it would forward me to www.google.co.kr When I go to NBA.com, there is some stuff written in Korean (I'm guessing) there as well.

Anyone have any idea why it might do this?

Are there any virus scanner/spyware scanners for Linux?

Linux User
    There is no spyware nor virus' for Linux, what I am guessing this is is that you set a wrong timezone on your machine. For example if you sat it to UK it would go to google.co.uk

So just go change your timezone to whichever one is right for you.

Linux Newbie
    But sometimes it actually forwards me to a page I don't intend on going to. I mean a completely seperate page altogether.

Linux Newbie
    One thing you can do is delete the browser settings folder.
    You are the one Linux!

Just Joined!
    You should check your host file too. That file is located here :

/etc/hosts

Use "vi" or "kedit" to edit the file. Be aware that you have to be root to do this.
    Only stuff you should have in there is the following line :

127.0.0.1 localhost

If you have the following line in it
    www.google.com www.google.co.kr
    or something similar, just whipe it out and save the file.

Linux Newbie

spyware

Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    There is no spyware nor virus' for Linux, what I am guessing this is is that you set a wrong timezone on your machine. For example if you sat it to UK it would go to google.co.uk

So just go change your timezone to whichever one is right for you.
    So there is no spyware or virus stuff PERIOD??? Somehow I am a bit skeptical. I would think there would be some smart person with evil intent that would create one. Especially with all the software/business wars going on and all.

Especially spyware, in which marketers want your info (they are more evil than virus writers )

So can you clarify why there is no bad stuff for linux out there?
    Ack!

Linux Engineer
    He is probably right in saying that there is probably no spyware for linux.. just because its so hard to infect more than a _very_ small number of machines.. (10..?) virus's do exist for linux but they are allmost without exeption harmless.. those that are not harmless do not affect any current linux technology, in fact.. they are mostly made as a "proof of concept" by the very people who patch linux against the viri. I do not beleive that there are _any_ viruses that have not been patched against that might pose any threat to a linux machine currently in the wild.
    Most cracking occurs in badly administerd systems or those running software that has security vulnerabilities built in (by mistake)

Just Joined!
    I don't entirely agree with you. Suppose there is a severe bug in portmapper wich hackers find and exploit before the software is patched. Because portmap is enabled in a lot of mainstream distro's, the risk is there. It will not spread as fast as a windows virus, but it will spread.
    However, as to spyware, I agree with you. Linux in the desktop market is probably 0.5% to 98% Windows. Collecting browsing data from those 0.5% just isn't profitable. And besides, what would they do with a list of howto sites, forums, and slashdot articles?

yeah, and add in that linux doesnt run IE,but tends to use a larger variety of browseres making spyware targeting even more difficult. Also as a general rule linux useres are savvy enough to block or destroy most spyware if it were ever to becoem common in linux systems.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie

evil

HA ha. You are so right. I think slashdot and forums are required reading for all linux users.

But I do refer you to the part where I say they (marketers) are EVIL. Im not sure what they would do with the info, but Im sure its nefarious. Probably SCO trying to get data on how to hit up the linux crowd.
    Ack!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast