Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having trouble connecting to my linux box with ssh at work. It works fine when I use my local IP from either my linux box or my windows comp ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Networking issue

I'm having trouble connecting to my linux box with ssh at work. It works fine when I use my local IP from either my linux box or my windows comp with putty. I have tried unblocking port 22 in my router software but have had no luck. I've even tried enabling DMZ. I'm not sure if I have a firewall on the box with ssh but I don't think so as I can connect with other computers on the network. The only thing I can think of is that I have a bad router. I've tried contacting my isp and they've told me i'm doing everything correctly in regards to my router. They also said services like ssh and ircd are not blocked.

This also is happening when I try connecting to my ircd from with my external IP. I thought it was my router but when I try unblocking ports for azureus, azureas says everything is a-ok. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Im a little confused are trying to connect to your linux box at home from work , or from home to work. do you have a static ip address on the linux box your trying to connect to or is it dynamic = dhcp. The router is it a small home or biz router like linksys or a full on network router like a cisco. Most likely
    if you using the small home router set the port 22 for forwarding to the internal static ip that the linux box is on.
    then ssh to the ip that the router connect to and the router will do the rest.

Just Joined!
    "Im a little confused are trying to connect to your linux box at home from work"
    I'm trying to connect to connect to my linux box at home when i'm at work. Or any remote location.

"do you have a static ip address on the linux box your trying to connect to or is it dynamic = dhcp"
    I've tried both. Currently I have my computer set up so it gets 192.168.0.10 every time it connects to my router.

"The router is it a small home or biz router like linksys or a full on network router like a cisco."
    I have a Netgear CG814WG.

Most likely
    if you using the small home router set the port 22 for forwarding to the internal static ip that the linux box is on.
    I've already done this. Infact i've even tried enabling dmz and i'm still getting a connection refused error.