Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I'm one of the unlucky few with a Dell laptop that didn't come with a Windows OS cd. What it does have is the "original state" restore function. I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quick ? on "windows+restore" partitioning

So I'm one of the unlucky few with a Dell laptop that didn't come with a Windows OS cd. What it does have is the "original state" restore function. I've heard, however, that if you have this set up on your computer, when you try to partition it will delete everything, and the windows OS will be lost forever. Is there a way to not destroy the entire hard drive when partitioning? I'm trying to switch to fedora, but I'm afraid of doing it without the ability to dual boot, in case i **** something up and need access to my computer. Or, should i just straight up partition it and not worry about losing windows? I have no idea how easy the install will be-If I should be fine just installing it, i guess just say so.
    --Thanks for the help/suggestions

Hi 3th0s,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

download GParted LiveCD. its one of the best partition Manager. boot from CD and create space for Fedora. (shrink/delete existing partitions). leave new space as free/unpartitioned. start edora Installation and select 'Free space for installation' in partition section.
    Installer will create/format partitions in free sapce and set up dual boot for you.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First