Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have XP/ Ubuntu on an 80 gig sata drive in dual boot. I have tried in the past to add another linux distro but couldn't get grub to see ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

dual boot with 2 drives

I have XP/ Ubuntu on an 80 gig sata drive in dual boot. I have tried in the past to add another linux distro but couldn't get grub to see all the distros.

I have another 250 gig pata drive that I want to use as a knoppmyth drive and do a kinda triboot, but didn't know how to go about editing grub to do that either.

Imagine my surprise when a friend came over and said "oh thats easy, just hit F8 during boot up and choose which drive you want to boot from". Could it really be that easy? YEP! I feel dumb.

So, just in case there is anyone out there that wants to know, I hope this helps.

Now if I could just figure out how to edit grub!
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04

SATA and PATA combination creates problems sometimes.
    install other Linux distro in PATA disk and
    * install GRUB in MBR of PATA disk. in this way, you have to press F8 key at startup, change boot order to boot up from SATA or PATA disk.
    OR
    * install GRUB in boot sector of PATA disk. edit /boot/grub/menu.lst file of Ubuntu to add an entry of other distro. you have to edit device.map file too.

i prefer second method coz i find changing boot order every time is a bit cumbersome.
    Last edited by devils casper; 05-03-2007 at 12:23 PM.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First