Find the answer to your Linux question:
I dedicated 30 gigs to linux and my linux install gave most of it to my /home directory partition. My other directory partition which has no name except for / ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why did linux give most of myhard drive space to /home?

I dedicated 30 gigs to linux and my linux install gave most of it to my /home directory partition. My other directory partition which has no name except for / has only about 5 gigs. When i try to install software from my cd this / partition is where it seems to be installed to and I only have like 3 gigs left. Is this a good thing? What is my /home directory used for because most of my space seems to be there.

Linux Engineer
    For a 30Gb hd giving 5Gb to / is definitely meagre IMO. For example UT2003 will use 2.5 Gb of that when installed.

Depends wht you intend doing with it though.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

you don't need to have separate partitions for your root (/) and your home (/home) directories. These can quite happily be on the same partition.

If you leave these on the same partition you'll find that the sub-directories can get as big as they need (or can) as you install other software.

As to what are they for.

The root (/) directory is just that. If you imagine your entire directory structure (file system) as a tree, then you can see that everything grows up from the root.

The /home directory is where users (such as yourself) keep their stuff. So all files that are yours, as opposed to being required by the entire PC, will end up in the /home/.... directory (thing to remember is that Linux and all Unixs are designed to be multiuser operating systems).

You don't mention what distro you're using, but you may want to consider a re-install with a single partition for all your files (called the root or "/" , which will have your /home directory in it [see how your home directory's name is made up of the root's name "/" and its own name to give "/home"]) and one partition for your swap (sized at about two times the total RAM you have).

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Engineer
    What nerderello said!!

It just reminded me that's the way mine's set up and also that's why it's set up that way. I once ran out of space on / with a seperate /home so I always partition to just boot, swap and / now.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly