Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, can any one tell me ,what's refresh option do in windows (rightclick->refresh) Just we get blink of screen?? or releated to buffers ?? What's the equivalent command for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile Windows Refresh --Linux ??

Hi all,
    can any one tell me ,what's refresh option do in windows (rightclick->refresh)
    Just we get blink of screen?? or releated to buffers ??
    What's the equivalent command for refresh in linux ??
    Thx.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!

Windows & Linux - Refresh

Hi,

In Windows, the 'Refresh' activity (has a predefined frequency say, 60Hz) in its registry entry when you were installing the drivers.

Hence, at this time frequency, Windows will automatically check the filesystem I-nodes for any updates such as Icons or say., if you had created some new files in the Desktop or something like that. Hence, by doing this, it will refresh the screen and update the desktop items.

Windows does this at regular intervals of (generally it would be 60Hz) and hence updates the screen.

Similarly, in Linux, if you right-click, you can notice a menu item called "Line Up Icons" or something similar to that. That I guess, will refresh the Screen also. Though I am not very sure about that, you can check that too for the time being. I will check in my Linux box and let you know soon.

Regards
    Visu

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Viswanathan View Post
    Hi,

In Windows, the 'Refresh' activity (has a predefined frequency say, 60Hz) in its registry entry when you were installing the drivers.

Hence, at this time frequency, Windows will automatically check the filesystem I-nodes for any updates such as Icons or say., if you had created some new files in the Desktop or something like that. Hence, by doing this, it will refresh the screen and update the desktop items.

Windows does this at regular intervals of (generally it would be 60Hz) and hence updates the screen.

Similarly, in Linux, if you right-click, you can notice a menu item called "Line Up Icons" or something similar to that. That I guess, will refresh the Screen also. Though I am not very sure about that, you can check that too for the time being. I will check in my Linux box and let you know soon.

Regards
    Visu
    thanks visu...but i like 2 know more about this(because i'm a very curious abt this for years ) ..
    for example i tried the following...
    step 1 : select a file from desktop
    step 2 : press ctrl + c
    Now Refresh ...
    step 3 :use ctrl+v ...
    it pastes the file...so i guess no buffer / clipboard is cleared by refreshing...
    you said about file system...what's really it doing with inode or icons ?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You can just click on the desktop and hit F5 to refresh it also.

Just Joined!

Refresh & Filesystem

Hi,

Yes, of course, if you would just like to refresh, like the 'Super Moderator' also said, the same "F5" key also should work.

Apart from that in terms of Filesystem, like the name suggests, it maintains the files by means of its internal kernel structure called "inodes". They are nothing but like Linked Lists of structures which will just maintain all the information about the files in the system. It will have all the information about the files like the links to that file, its permission etc...

The Filesystem by itself is a huge topic by itself. If you would like to know more about filesystem you may refer to the books, "Understand the LInux Kernel", "Linux Kernel Development" by Robert Love, Another book named "Unix..." something by Author: Maurice Bach also.

Regards
    Visu

Smile

hmm....o.k i agree refresh just reload the icons ....but i don't quite agree with file sys. concepts.
    -----

Yes that is true. It is refreshing the application - basically telling the desktop to redraw, and in that process rereading the links/files etc on the desktop.

Just Joined!

kernel would need the filesystem underly to refresh

Hi,

This is what I feel guys... Lemme explain below...

Whenever a file is active or say, a file is there in a directory, a filesystem based i-node will also be associated with that file rite. I mean by an i-node, is nothing but a structure (or mayb even a linked list of structures) which will be maintained by the ext2 algorithm (in a x86 machine).

Each i-node will contain all the information, whatever needed to be known to th e kernel. Say., if it is a soft link, the i-node structure will contain the information about where in the filesystem, the file is linked to. Similarly, there should be so much other information in the i-node structure for each file.

.. Contd in next message......... ==>

Just Joined!

Kernel would need to filesystem underly to refresh

Hi,

-- Contd from previous message ===>

In a similar manner, even when a new file is created, an i-node structure will be created in the kernel and will be appended to the already available list of i-node structures. So, when the kernel is auto-refreshing (at rate of 60Hz), it will read all the i-nodes and then updates itself.

If not for the kernel reading the I-nodes, then how will the kernel know, when say, a particular link is broken, and u refresh, the kernel should update rite, that the link is broken.

So, I guess, when refreshing, the kernel should need to read through the kernel structures (let me call it i-nodes) to update the screen and hence the file's properties as well.

Regards
    Visu

If you ever had to use the computers at my old high school, you'd refresh the desktop constantly. For some reason they'd usually only load half the icons whenever they started.

Most of the time the desktop/file browser gets refreshed every time a new icon is added to it. If you ever have to do GUI programming in java you'll be telling your gui to re-draw a lot of things because it isn't automated. It's similar to that.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)