Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Is the thread author a complete and total idiot, or just a noob.

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, total idiot, silly little noob.

1 100.00%
  • No, typical noob

0 0%
  • Decent for a noob, but STILL a noob!

0 0%
Hi, so I am trying to get FC5 online, and this requires my wireless card to work, which uses the ralink rt2500 series driver. I already have a CVS tarball, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC5, /usr/src/kernels MISSING!!! Help please

Hi, so I am trying to get FC5 online, and this requires my wireless card to work, which uses the ralink rt2500 series driver. I already have a CVS tarball, but when I go to make the driver, it can't find the "build", and as I've looked into this issue, I noticed that the "build" link in "/lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5" points to "/usr/src/kernels/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-i686", but the "kernels" directory does not exist.

I've gone to countless forums about installing the rt2500 driver, and I'm close, but the reasone I mentioned the rt2500 is to make the point that ATM, I cannot get online with the FC5, so YUM is out of the picture. Now I have read that I need to have gcc, and a whole pile of development tools on the machine, so I set up the FC5 installation with every Kernel Development tool and KDE Development tools (including EVERY optional one involved with both of those packages). But that kernels directory is still missing.

If there is something I have to do to get the /usr/src directory to populate with the kernels directory, and the appropriate sub-dir (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-i686) and necessary contents, please tell me.

This is the only thing keeping me from compiling my rt2500.ko driver, and gettin the thing online.

I tried making the directories myself, and populated the 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-i686 directory from the files contained in "/boot", because I vmlinuz-2.6xxxx was there, and I read in the binary (rpm) package for this kernel, that vmlinuz is the kernel, so I thought I was putting what I needed in the folder, but I didn't copy all of the subdirs of /boot (maybe I should have? ) and it still gives me errors, so I'm assuming I didn't get the appropriate files associated with the build in there.

If anyone could tell me exactly what should go in those folders, or some command I need to run to populate the directories properly, I'd appreciate it.

I guess my next idea is to put a link to "/boot" and links to just about everything else, in that 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-i686 folder. IF that fails, I guess I'd delete the directory, and name a link with that directory's name, and link to /boot, and whatever else I can guess might be related, like /etc/sysconfig.

Banned
    I would take a look at this guide.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    I would take a look at this guide.
    Yeah, the link to the "kernel-devel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.i686.rpm", isn't working. I'm actually already trying to get there (http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...s/Fedora/RPMS/) to try to download the devel rpm, but the page won't friggin open. I already navigated down into the "/os/Fedora/" directory, but I can't get into RPMS. It won't connect.

Thanks though.