Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was going to install Suse 9.1 Pro, but I noticed that the kernel is a bit-outdated and I was wondering how I would go and update the kernel. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Updating Kernel

I was going to install Suse 9.1 Pro, but I noticed that the kernel is a bit-outdated and I was wondering how I would go and update the kernel. I know you have to download, but what commands do you use to update or is there a way to update it through a GUI interface like installing it from an .rpm

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Does your hardware work well using the old kernel? If so, then there is probably not reason for you upgrade your kernel.

Linux Enthusiast
    What about USB and wifi and DSL and the other newer hardware. I have kernel 2.4, so I was wondering if I need 2.61 or whatever the newest kernel is. I like to be update on things

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I remember using 2.4 kernels and USB worked fine. You can easily install wifi drivers on 2.4 kernels (Its the same as installing them on 2.6 kernels). Some distros e.g. Slack, still use the 2.4 kernels as default with the 2.6 being optional. If you really want to run the 2.6 kernel, why not just get a distro built around it? If you want to go ahead and compile your own 2.6 kernel, search on google for "2.6+kernel+compile+guide". Remember that you will also need to install support packages such as udev and get rid of the likes of devfs and hotplug.

Linux Enthusiast
    Well if 2.4 is still good, then I can work with that