Find the answer to your Linux question:
Right thanks for reading, if i redesign a Linux distribution i.e change splash screen, colours, change the apps that come with it, change the name etc. will it become a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

If i redesign the look of Linux will it become a separate distribution?

Right thanks for reading, if i redesign a Linux distribution i.e change splash screen, colours, change the apps that come with it, change the name etc. will it become a separate distribution that i could then offer to the public?

You can fork a linux distribution pretty much as please.

Some distro's artwork isn't gpled (fedora I think? ) so all that needs to be removed if you plan to distribute it. Just make sure you don't violate any licences and you can call it whatever you like.

Just Joined!
    so i could change some of its colours and features and it would be my own distribution?

There's no definition for distro, but changing everything like themes, wallpapers, default installed programs will create a fork you can redistribute.
    Just don't redistribute copyrighted stuff, everything else is covered by the GPL

You can read it like this

man gpl
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

You can change it however you please, but changing the default wallpaper and splash screen hardly justifies a whole new distro.

Distro's tend to be judged by their package management, and default installed programs, or by some "cool new thing" that they bring to linux -- not by the artwork.

But (as far as I know) the GPL gives you the freedom to do this, as long as you abide by certain conditions.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode