Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, does anybody knows when is going to be the next release for OpenOffice.org?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OpenOffice release?

Hi everybody,
    does anybody knows when is going to be the next release for OpenOffice.org?

Linux Guru
    if the answer is anywhere, it will be at http://www.openoffice.org/

Just Joined!
    I've been there, they have a time frame, but it only has weeks, not dates.

My question is not only about when is going to be released. I've been using it for a while, trying to make it the only thing I use, and get finally rid of M$ Office.

But I have some questions, I know it is open source, but for what I can see, it is been developed only by Sun Microsystems, I know they have another office software, so, my concern is, are they just using OpenOffice to promote their own software, or are they really putting some effort to make OpenOffice the best office app?

Besides, there are other office appz that come with Linux, I haven't really tried 'em, and I would really like to know some opinions about them.

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Open Office isn't developed by Sun, it's developed by the Open Source community. Sun uses OO as it's base, tosses in some add-ons and support and charges for it.

As for the others, I think they're respectable suites in their own right, but if you want MS compatabitly, your best bet is OO.
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I'm actually very happy with OO, my next step is to learn as much as I can so I can get my mom to use it all the time at home, she uses it only for basic tasks in word and excel, so I guess it won't be to hard.

I was very concern about all the news about Sun going open source and then not going and so on. I think OO is an exellent tool and I was afraid they would take it and stop it's development somehow, I guess it is just my normal paranoia

Any way, thanks for your comments.

Something that may be of interest to you if you are using KDE. Download ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/packages/o...Install.tar.gz

It is OOo with KDE Plastik icons, menus, combo boxes etc.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux Engineer
    Sun owns the copyright on OOffice and you will find that it is not quite as good as star office (suns other office software of which ooffice is an open version) openoffice _is_ excelent and imo beats msoffice.. it does lack minor things like document templates however.

Just Joined!
    I lke OOo, I also think it beats M$Office. Yeap, it lacks templates, but you know, I never use them.

That was my initial point, Sun got the rights, and they are playing around, doing bussiness with Microsoft, then back to open source, they say they will open Java, then Solaris, then they come up saying they don't know when. If we depend on such a company to produce the best FREE Office software, well, wath is our destiny?

As I said before, could be my normal paranoia , but could be real, what do you think about Sun, will it be a good ally for open source?

Just Joined!
    hello everybody (linux newbie)