Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know how to password-protect a certain folder without having to download some program that lets you do that?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Password-protected folders

Does anyone know how to password-protect a certain folder without having to download some program that lets you do that?

***Moved to Misc***

Can you be more specific? Are you trying to set a folder unaccessible to a local user? Or is it on a web server? More details please.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    No, not on a server (I know how to do That). Just on my local system, I want it to promt me (or anyone else) for a password before letting you see the contents. If that's possible of course.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm not sure about that, but you *can* set the permissions to 700 so that no one can have permission to use it except the owner. That's the closest thing I know that will work.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Heh, unfortunately not close enough. And you are underestimating me lol I know how to set permissions

Linux User

apache

I don't think Linux does this without extra software. LInux likes users and groups and that kind of thing not just plain old passwords.

why not create a folder somewhere and set tight permissions and ownership so that only the apache user can access it. then set up a virtual folder on apache that maps to it and use a .htaccess file to prompt for the password.

then just access the folder through the web browser.

I take it you need to keep some stuff secure.

If you're just hiding stuff on the pc then create a partition somewhere and don't make an entry for it in fstab so you need to manually mount it before use. You could even have a bash script that prompted the user for a word then mounted the drive and opened it in nautilus.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!
    hmm, good idea (apache), thanks

Just Joined!

Question .htaccess and .password and the command htaccess

As far as I know you have to set it in the files .htacces and .password but this can probably only be done by the root. Some ISPs such as main has a webbased system for this. Don't if you have to do some thing with the apache server as well or what ever http server you are using. I have tried to do this on my homepage server but haven't got the hang of it yet. Maybe someone can follow this thread and let me know.

Rosoft

Quote Originally Posted by kpzani View Post
    I don't think Linux does this without extra software. LInux likes users and groups and that kind of thing not just plain old passwords.

why not create a folder somewhere and set tight permissions and ownership so that only the apache user can access it. then set up a virtual folder on apache that maps to it and use a .htaccess file to prompt for the password.

then just access the folder through the web browser.

I take it you need to keep some stuff secure.

If you're just hiding stuff on the pc then create a partition somewhere and don't make an entry for it in fstab so you need to manually mount it before use. You could even have a bash script that prompted the user for a word then mounted the drive and opened it in nautilus.