Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys I just joined this ownage site and I need help. Ok well all of the sudden I started getting blue screen of death on my windows atleast 2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Basicly everything

Hi guys I just joined this ownage site and I need help. Ok well all of the sudden I started getting blue screen of death on my windows atleast 2 times a month. So I thought "**** windows". I didnt know what else to go to since Mac is gay, I asked my friend and he suggested to me that i use Linux. Can someone please telll me basicly everything about linux and how to use it. I know it cant run all programs but atleast it keeps me away from viruses. Also I got a Railink wireless lancard for the internet. Will it automaticly format it for Linux?. So yea basicly all I need is someone to tell me all about linux, what kind of programs it uses, is it safe, will I benifit from it etc.

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, Robbey!

You can have a look at the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux.

Hope you enjoy your time at the forums and using Linux.

oz
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by Robbey View Post
    I didnt know what else to go to since Mac is gay, I asked my friend and he suggested to me that i use Linux.
    In all fairness, there are quite a few people in the world (and on this forum) who use and enjoy Apple's computers, so let's keep the insults to a minimum. I try to encourage everyone to use whatever operating system works best for them, whether that be Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, or any of the thousands of Linux distributions available.

Also I got a Railink wireless lancard for the internet. Will it automaticly format it for Linux?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. You may need to do some work to get proper wireless drivers for your card in Linux. Not all manufacturers are friendly to the OS. However, you should be able to get it working, whether it be with official drivers or with a work-around such as NDISWrapper, which essentially translates the MS Windows drivers for you.

So yea basicly all I need is someone to tell me all about linux, what kind of programs it uses, is it safe, will I benifit from it etc.

Thanks
    I would recommend also that you take a look at the thread linked in ozar's signature. It has a lot of good introductory information.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants