Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Hello all, I am by no mean a Linux or Xen expert but I will do my best to explain my problem. We had recently a problem with Xen. It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2

    Problem with RAID following update


    Hello all,

    I am by no mean a Linux or Xen expert but I will do my best to explain my problem.

    We had recently a problem with Xen. It kept posting some weird messages so before trying to fix the problem, I tried to update it with apt-get upgrade (I think Xen is running on Debian Etch but I am not sure since I am not the one who installed it).

    At some point during the update, I was asked some weird question about arrays. I think I selected activate all arrays, but I did not know what I was doing.

    When I rebooted, a lot of raid partitions that where in /dev/md* where transferred to /dev/.static/dev/md*

    Because of that, I can't seem to be able to start my virtual machines who where running on those partitions (because Xen is looking for them in /dev/md* and not /dev/.static/dev/md*).

    I am not sure what to do to bring back the old configuration. At start up with Grub, I have the option to choose from Xen 3 (our current version) or Xen 2.x (our old version). When I start Xen 2.x, all the necessary drive are in /dev/md* and I think there is nothing in /dev/.static/

    In Xen 2.x, I ran mdadm --detail –scan, and copied the content of the file in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf in Xen 3. The missing partitions became available and I could even mount them and see the content of the directories but my virtual machines still won't start. I think that’s because there is still some stuff missing which is located in /dev/.static/

    Therefore, all I would like to know is how I can put back my drives in /dev instead of /dev/.static

    Thanks a lot for your help.

    Max

  2. #2
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2
    Hi,

    It would seem that the solution was running the command:

    mdadm --examine --scan --config=partitions

    When I did the upgrade, mdrun was replaced by mdadm. mdadm needs the list of partitions in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf.

    Mdrun can detect partitions automatically but not mdadm (or so it would seem). With the previous command, I just placed the result between DEVICE and MAILADDR in mdadm.conf and it worked.

    I think I had to do a reboot.

    Hope this helps someone!

    Cheers,

    Max

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •