Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm very flustered! Every time I try to install a program, i get the error configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH How do c get an "acceptable cc" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cc in $PATH

I'm very flustered! Every time I try to install a program, i get the error
    configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
    How do c get an "acceptable cc" in $PATH?

Just Joined!
    Ok nevermind I got it installed with the installation dvd. One other question though: After I've successfully installed a program, how do I run it? I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to figure out how to run a program I just installed...

You need gcc. What distro are you using? Use that distro's package manager to get gcc.

Are you trying to install something from source? You should use your package manager to install software whenever possible. Check this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by phohasmtopad View Post
    Ok nevermind I got it installed with the installation dvd. One other question though: After I've successfully installed a program, how do I run it? I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to figure out how to run a program I just installed...
    Most programs, when installed, go into /usr/bin. Therefore, if /usr/bin is in your $PATH, you should be able to run the program simply by calling the appropriate command. For example, if you installed k3b, you could run it from the command line with:
    Code:
    k3b

Just Joined!
    What exactly is an $PATH? Also, I did the whereis ecasound command in the terminal and it is located in /usr/loca/bin, but when I try to open it, nothing happens. How do I open it?

Please correct me anyone if i am wrong.

But a $PATH command is what it says, it defines which directories your program will look in order find the command you typed. If you had a program that needed to be linked to say a database it would be possible to link to the database using the $PATH command to tell the program where to look.

Just Joined!
    Ohh okay I understand now, it's not graphical, you have to open it in the terminal... Thanks for the help. So that's why I needed the c++ library then...

Just like in windows and just about any other os, PATH is an environment variable which holds directories containing executable files. When you run an app, your operating system checks in those directories for the executable you attempted to run.