Find the answer to your Linux question:
okay firstly i appologise if this sint in the right place but without solving this i carnt install LINUX so it is kinda relevant? lol okay heres the prob, i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BIOS probs

okay firstly i appologise if this sint in the right place but without solving this i carnt install LINUX so it is kinda relevant? lol

okay heres the prob, i have downloaded the fedora ISO's and burnt them!

Picture the scene i am all excited and ready to install linux i put disc one in my drive and restart...nothing, try CD in mates PC and wahey up comes the fedora instalation screen my conclusion is that my CD drive carnt be bootable!!
    from what i rememebr i change tghis in the BIOS yes? so off i go to my BIOS only to find oh balls its password protected and i dont know the password, as embarasing as it is i set it a long time ago and have forgotten!!

so my question is HOW THE HELL CAN I CRACK THAT PASSWORD!!!!
    all i know is that my bios is PHEONIX and i assume isnt stoneage as i got the PC two years ago!

i have searched google and found several programs which aparently crack it or show me the password i tried Christophe Grenier's CmosPwd, i am not sure what it is telling me and carnt see anything from its readouts that look like my PWORD. it also has the option to kill the bios infor so there is no pword this also does not work!!!

i would be extremley grateful of any help!!

sorry again if this is in the wrong place wasnt sure where to put it!
    thanks for your help again
    talky

Just Joined!
    update removed the CMOS battery for about 15min and still it is locked!!! grrrr!

Just Joined!
    wahey! after about 5 hours of searching and learning i have sorted it!
    i took the battery out again disconnected from mains etc and left it for a lot longer, still nothing however as i was putting battery back in i found the CMOS clear jumper (i have no manual for board and jumper was a long way from battery) so i switched it and wahey i can access my BIOS for the first time ina long time!!

God bless linux i havent even installed it yet and i am already learning loads about my PC!!!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    now search the net and download a manual for your motherboard . It'll make life eaier when you come back to it in 6 months time and have forgotten everything you found out.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    lol i wish it was that easy i have tried milliosn fo times to find a manual for my board but i carnt even identify it, i have tried all manner of diagnostic porgrams and have scoured the board with a fine tooth comb but nothing to identyfy it..is very odd lol! life would be simplar if i knew what it was lol!

have you tried :-

http://www.motherboards.org/moboidtools.html
    ?

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS