Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was thouroughly impressed with those old business card CDs. You know, those mini CDs with two flat sides? I can't find them here in Korea, ANYWHERE. In fact, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

A Not-So-Small distro?

I was thouroughly impressed with those old business card CDs. You know, those mini CDs with two flat sides? I can't find them here in Korea, ANYWHERE. In fact, I can't even find the mini CDs or CD-RWs anywhere either. All I can find is the DVD-R and RW in that size.

So my question is, why would I get DSL or DSL-N, or Puppy, or Slax etc., to burn onto a 700MB disc? There's so much space left over on the disc, and they're so much bulkier than those small discs.

I bought some mini DVD-Rs and RWs for an experiment. I wanted to 'remaster' a live CD to fit onto a 1.4GB DVD.

The problem is, in order to remaster, evidently I need to be able to wipe and write to a clean Linux partition on my Hard Drive, according to the tutorials.

So, does anyone know where I should start?

I want KDE, GIMP, Blender, all things Mozilla, great Wi-Fi support, VLC, Azureus, Eclipse, Wine, OOo, and some games. Wow, if I could get my hands on LinDVD and CrossoverOffice on there, I'd be set to run AnarchyOnline from a full size DVD like this.

Any suggestions on which distro to start with? And then, where should I go?

SLAXComes with some great tools for building your own livecd. There are add on modules so you can customise it a lot of ways before getting into compiling and the like. A favourite of mine. It starts out small but in 700MB you could probably add all of the modules

If you're in for a bit of a challenge you could get LFS and build your own Linux from scratch, then make it a liveCD with tools that you'll find on net .

Linux Newbie
    Well, I am not in for that much of a challenge. I still haven't figured out a Gentoo install, so LFS is WAY out of my league just yet.

I am going to start with the SLAX Kill Bill edition tonight. I will try to remaster it so that it includes everything I want in a live distro with my 1.4GB cap on the disc.

Linux Newbie
    Not entirely off topic.....

I intend to optimize this live distro for use and eventual install on a PC I intend to build.

If you've never seen Zap Wizard's Radioactive Ammo PC, then you might not understand my concept.

I have the same ammo can. I don't intend to mod the cables or put the little screen on the front so that it looks like a propr out of a '50s sci-fi flick. (it looks really good, but its not my flavor)

I found a board here in Korea DIRT CHEAP, but the CPU isn't all that. I know VIA's Unichrome doesn't do 3d in Linux very well. I have the S3 on my laptop. (M789CG V3.0)

I want to know if I can find a better board with the same dimensions for under $200 US?

I am limiting myself to $1000 for this project.

Linux Newbie
    So, I tried Slax Kill Bill. I haven't gotten wireless to work with my RT2500 yet, but I will keep playing with it. It looks like the way to go. Puppy was too light for this project, even with the dotPET packages and additional Slackware packages I downloaded. I may just go with the latest Knoppix CD and add all kinds of stuff to double its weight for my 1.4BG DVD.