Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an ok computer. It has a Pentium 4 at 2.9 Ghz and 512 MB of RAM. I am having a problem with my PCLinuxOS 2007 install. When I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need opinion on computer

I have an ok computer. It has a Pentium 4 at 2.9 Ghz and 512 MB of RAM. I am having a problem with my PCLinuxOS 2007 install. When I try to multitask it restarts automatically or just freezes. This was especially true when I ran ktorrent. But just a second ago I tried to run a KDE game while Amarok was going. When it opened it crashed to the login screen. But just running FireFox and Amarok right now it is fine and is fine through the day, like 12+ hours.

Here's where you come in, do you think it is something with my computer or with my install? Any help will be great.

I doubt it has something to do with your computer, the hardware specs look just fine, unless something is configured totally wrong. Have you tried other Linux distrubutions before? Do they work fine? If you run Windows, does that work? I think it might be a flawed disk or installation, it can happen from time to time. Try re-installing PCLOS maybe. Do you have a swap partition and how big is it?

Hope you get it sorted.

Just Joined!
    I did run windows on this disk and it was fine. It might be a configuration, if it is would you know which configuration I should look at. But it may be a bad install cause Ubuntu used to work fine on it, hate to lose the configuration I got on it, I have it set just the way I like.

It might be a faulty CD..I'm not sure how to check for that but usually when you boot of a disk there's an option to scan the disk for errors before installing. It might be faulty installation too. I don't know which configuration it might be, sorry.

Hope someone else can help you