Find the answer to your Linux question:
this must be already answered...but i'm unable to find it.... so plz can anyone tell me how to replace Alt + F1 combination with windows start key??...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

changing Alt + F1 to window start key...

this must be already answered...but i'm unable to find it.... so plz can anyone tell me how to replace Alt + F1 combination with windows start key??

Which Linux Distro do you have and Which Desktop Environment are you using?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

redhat flvores...

for rh9 and CentOS 5.0...

RedHat and CentOS' default Desktop Environment is Gnome and i assume that you are using GNOME only.
    Go to the System \ Preferences \ Keyboard Shortcuts menu item:
    Scroll down till you see the "Show the panel menu" item. Click in the Shortcut column, and when it changes to "New accelerator…", hit the Windows Key. Click the close button. You're done!
    Now when you hit the windows key, the application menu will pop up. If you hit the right arrow key, you can go to the Places or System menu as well.

ya...it was there as u said but it is not taking windows key.... when i click on <Alt>F1 it says type an accelerator... but though i press window key it is not recognizing....

in showkey the keycode for left window key is shown as 125 and right window is shown as 126...

then what i did.... i changed the accelerator for workspace switching... as left window key + Tab... that time it showed me (i also tried only left window key that didn't helped) <Mod4>Tab, now where actually these shortcuts r mapped in the system??? i might be able to directly map the keycode to the functionality.....

how did you find keycode of Win Key? xev? is it not working in both distros?

i am not a GNOME user but when i used that a few months back, Win key worked using above method. i will look into this today.

i did on command line
    >showkey
    then u just need to press the key for which u want to see the key code....