Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, My application currently work on console mode of linux, There is a need to launch the web -browser. As the web browser cannot be launced in the console ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Switching from Console to GUI mode

Dear all,

My application currently work on console mode of linux, There is a need to launch the web -browser. As the web browser cannot be launced in the console mode , so the browser get launch in GUI mode.As we are currently in the console mode , so we need to press <CRTL><ALT>F7 to
    switch to the GUI mode and then again <CRTL><ALT>F1 to again switch to
    Console mode.

Can we have a capability so that any single key (say F2) can work as <CRTL><ALT>F7.It is like emulatin the Alt+TAb behaviour in Windows with a single key.

Waiting for a prompt response

Thanks & Regards,
    Arun Tayal

Access the GUI for setting up your keyboard, there you can change keyboard keystrokes and different layouts, or you can create an alias
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Just Joined!

How to map Keyboard strokes to different key

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    I am new to Linux. Can you please guide me how to change keyboard strokes and make alias?

Thanks in Adance.

Regards,
    Arun Tayal

Hi,

Go to system->preferences->keyboard shortcuts, hope that will help you to set the way you wanted it .

Just Joined!
    Hi,

going to to system->preferences->keyboard shortcuts and then manuplating
    from there won't help because there is no command there for switching from GUI to console mode or vice versa for which we can manuplate accelerators.

Please help me with some idea to create hotkey for <ctrl><Alt><F7> ..

waiting for response.

Thanks & Regards,
    Arun

Indeed, this is not something that is configurable from a GUI. I don't know at what level these shortcuts are implemented, but it's lower than you can normally reach.

As a result, you may look into the 'chvt' command. This changes the terminal. For instance, 'chvt 7' is the same as pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7.

You may need superuser privileges to run this: I haven't done much testing or research on it. But it's a good starting place.

Just Joined!
    Dear Cabhan,

Thanks for your valuable suggestion, It worked as desired.,But when we run it through telnet, it doesnot work, can we have some command which we can run on telnet session but can switch to GUI and vice -versa on local system

waiting for response

Thanks & Regards,
    Arun

Try using a vncviewer to access the GUI. When you say you are telneting that gives me the impression you are going from one machine to another. Therefore if this is the case you should be able to use vncviewer to access the GUI of the desired computer.
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Just Joined!
    Though I am on the telnet session, I want to switch to the GUI of the local machine . It means, inspite of being in the telnet session , the system should switch to the GUI of the local machine on pressing some key. So I think there is a need to map some function key like F2 with <alt><ctl>F7.

chvt worked as desired, but when executing this command in telnet session , it displays some error " File descriptor not found"

Please help me out.

Regards,
    Arun