Find the answer to your Linux question:
My issue here is GNOME versus KDE in accessing partitions in the LAN environment: I have been experimenting with Ubuntu FF/GNOME versus SuSE10.2/KDE as far as versatility in "seeing" and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GNOME versus KDE in accessing LAN environment partitions

My issue here is GNOME versus KDE in accessing partitions in the LAN environment:

I have been experimenting with Ubuntu FF/GNOME versus SuSE10.2/KDE
    as far as versatility in "seeing" and "accessing" the surrounding extra partitions and HD's in my LAN environment.

I have a working triple boot HD with multiple extra partitions, with additional HD's attached:

SUSE 10.2
    Ubuntu FF
    WinXP
    extra partitions on HD
    add'tl HD's with their partitions

Ubuntu/GNOME has done a wonderful job in allowing me to view all these extra partitions and add'tl HD partitions. I can click on MY COMPUTER and up pops icons for every single partition on every HD !!!

But the KDE/SUSE environment seems like it wants to lock you in this environment where you don't wander too far from /Home. You can click on MY COMPUTER, but you have to drill down to get anywhere; and no way can you see any other HD partitions; and forget about easily placing an icon on your desktop.

Is there a way to open up KDE to see everything on my LAN?

thanks.

BC

Konqueror's navigation panel should be able to help you out. It's the sidebar on the left (hit F9 if it's not there already), in which you normally get a tree view of your filesystem. There should be a vertical row of icons on the left side, to which you can add functionality by right-clicking on the sidebar. If you add the System button (or if it's already there), that will offer meta-locations, including "Remote Places" and "Storage Media." The former will connect to network shares and VNC/RDP services that are available to you, and the latter will give you access to any filesystems on your local machine. In both cases, KDE will try to automatically mount devices/shares as needed, but you may need to set up your fstab to allow your regular user account to do the mount.

Oh, also, if you right-click on your desktop and select "Configure Desktop..." there's a "Device Icons" tab in the Behavior section that lets you specify types of icons to be automatically added to the desktop to give you access to such things as remote shares and local disk partitions, as well as removable media.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelmo View Post
    Konqueror's navigation panel should be able to help you out. It's the sidebar on the left (hit F9 if it's not there already), in which you normally get a tree view of your filesystem. There should be a vertical row of icons on the left side, to which you can add functionality by right-clicking on the sidebar. If you add the System button (or if it's already there), that will offer meta-locations, including "Remote Places" and "Storage Media." The former will connect to network shares and VNC/RDP services that are available to you, and the latter will give you access to any filesystems on your local machine. In both cases, KDE will try to automatically mount devices/shares as needed, but you may need to set up your fstab to allow your regular user account to do the mount.

Oh, also, if you right-click on your desktop and select "Configure Desktop..." there's a "Device Icons" tab in the Behavior section that lets you specify types of icons to be automatically added to the desktop to give you access to such things as remote shares and local disk partitions, as well as removable media.
    Well, I opened the System tab that you suggested in konqueror.

Storage shows only a floppy icon.
    Remote shows the normal SLP and SMB shares, but nothing else. I happen
    to have a SAMBA server, and those locations on the LAN are shown in the SMB share folder (once I figured
    out how to permanently shut down the Firewall). But still no folders that show all the other partitions
    on this HD and many of the other HD's.

The GNOME setup in Ubuntu actually shows icons for the CardReader! as well as unused, formatted partitions.

I also went to Desktop Configure, and set up the icons to desktop, and clicked nearly all of them. But still nothing happened
    even after I logged out.

I even started to create a new link to a HD, with right clicking the desktop. But I have no idea what this does and don't want to mess things up at this stage.

Don't really understand what I am doing different in GNOME.