Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two machines linked by xover cable. One machine is running Red Hat 7.3 and the other is Running Win2000. I only have one Monitor and where possible I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help with remote logins with openssh and Red Hat 7.3

I have two machines linked by xover cable. One machine is running Red Hat 7.3 and the other is Running Win2000. I only have one Monitor and where possible I want to avoid moving the cablw between both computers.

I want to be able to use ssh to access my linux shell. I have putty on my Windows box. My problem is that on the linux side I can't get the openssh server service running. When I enter the following command "service start sshd" I get the error command not found. Where is sshd gives the following "sshd:"

I thought the server service was not installed. I found the rpm but can't seem to get it installed. Can anyone lend a helping hand?

Linux Engineer
    What is the error when you try to install it?

The first time I tryed it was the wrong version of the openssh server. When I got the right it was source code which I have no idea how to compile. Its hard to find the right rpm[openssh-server 3.1p 1-3].

I wonder if I should reinstall Red Hat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    The rpm should be on your cds. You want the one that ends in .rpm and not src.rpm so you don't have to compile it. If you have net access, you can download it from http://rpmfind.net