Find the answer to your Linux question:
Lately I have been experiencing quite frequent lockups of my system (my fault for being so bleeding-edge!). Typically, the system would become almost completely unresponsive -- the mouse would move, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Solving system-lockups locally

Lately I have been experiencing quite frequent lockups of my system (my fault for being so bleeding-edge!). Typically, the system would become almost completely unresponsive -- the mouse would move, but I could not click on anything, and the cursor wouldn't change on hover-over, and the keyboard would not work (not even the Caps light would come on).

My first response was to hard-reboot the system, which wasn't very clever, and shows that I still solve some problems like a Windows user. My second response was to ssh in from another computer on my network, and kill whatever process had locked up. This strikes me as a much more linux-like solution!

I have two questions:
    1/ Does my second response (and my pride at coming up with it) get me any geek-points?
    2/ Is there a way to solve this problem from the local machine -- i.e. without having to log on remotely from another computer?

Thanks.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    1/ Does my second response (and my pride at coming up with it) get me any geek-points?
    Perhaps six or seven. You can double that if your locked up system is a P5 4.5 Ghz Quatro core ultra uber deluxe *bling*, and the system that saves it is a 386 and you use tha LPT1 port to establish connection.

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    2/ Is there a way to solve this problem from the local machine -- i.e. without having to log on remotely from another computer?
    No! It's locked.

If there is remotely a way to get a locked system back into runlevel 3 I would be much more than interested in hearing it however.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    Perhaps six or seven. You can double that if your locked up system is a P5 4.5 Ghz Quatro core ultra uber deluxe *bling*, and the system that saves it is a 386 and you use tha LPT1 port to establish connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    No! It's locked.

If there is remotely a way to get a locked system back into runlevel 3 I would be much more than interested in hearing it however.
    Can't you just ssh in, and drop to runlevel 3?
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    How are you identifying which process is 'locked'? By high cpu usage?

What's the process that is causing you trouble? (And what distro/version is this? The one in your sig?)

Quote Originally Posted by anomie View Post
    How are you identifying which process is 'locked'? By high cpu usage?

What's the process that is causing you trouble?
    Basically, yes. I had a suspicion that beryl was locking up, and that was confirmed when I saw it using ~50% of my cpu (an entire core!!). I killed it from the ssh session, and the local machine became responsive again.

Quote Originally Posted by anomie View Post
    (And what distro/version is this? The one in your sig?)
    I'm using a modified version of Sabayon 3.3 for my x86_64 machine. Since it's based on Gentoo, I decided to take it to "world update", which meant going through a long process of emerging everything on my system. It took almost three days of solid compiling (my processor hates me), but it's worth it since I can now emerge the latest and greatest versions of my packages every night. This means I am now (almost) updated to the 3.4 release of Sabayon, which hasn't even been released yet!

It's probably the ridiculous bleeding-edgness of my installation that is causing the lockups, but I've noticed that they are decreasing in frequency as Sabayon 3.4 gets closer to its official release.