Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have the latest distro of Damn Small Linux and just wanted to throw some other linux applications on the CD (so as not to waste space) and have been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating an ISO using source files in Windows

I have the latest distro of Damn Small Linux and just wanted to throw some other linux applications on the CD (so as not to waste space) and have been using various windows applications to create the ISO. Unfortunately, the ISO wasn't bootable, so I have been messing around in VMware testing various images I have made. So far they have all failed.

One catch, I am doing all this on Windows XP (don't hate) and I am curious if there is a program available to create a bootable ISO. Any suggestions?

It's becouse most of CD\DVD-tools for Window$ don't support the Rock Ridge extension. Try command line version of the MagicISO.

Usage:
    miso tools.iso -ar -f tools -a "c:\to_add"

Where:
    tools.iso: output file;
    -ar: add Rock Ridge volume;
    -f tools: sets root folder for add new files and folders (see below);
    -a "c:\to_add": add folder "c:\to_add" into root folder (full path at CD will be "\tools\to_add");

you can't boot the ISO file, you need to burn it as ISO (not as data disk)

Quote Originally Posted by Runn3r.cze View Post
    you can't boot the ISO file
    Why? VMware supports for bootable ISO files. Just select file into the settings of guest OS, then select CD-ROM as bootable device in VMware BIOS. If file is correct, VMware will booting from it.

Just Joined!
    Is there a way to use Nero to do this instead? I know there is a Bootable ISO option in Nero, but I don't know which file to specify in the source.

I just uninstalled MagicISO because it kept prompting me to pay for it, and there's nothing that annoys me more than trial software.

Quote Originally Posted by Shab View Post
    Is there a way to use Nero to do this instead?
    Nero also don't supports for Rock Ridge extension : (

But I know a trick : ) However, this would require some files. I wrote step-by-step manual:

1. Copy all contents of ISO image into some folder. For example, "C:\DSL". You can do this under Window$ with program like Daemon Tools (best freeware CD\DVD emulator). Insert ISO image into virtual drive and work with him as with ordinary CD-ROM. Also you can use shareware program like WinISO (UltraISO, etc) for directly extracting all contents of ISO image.

2. Check files "isolinux.bin" and "boot.cat" in "C:\DSL". I suppose they shall be into "C:\DSL\isolinux" or "C:\DSL\boot". If they not exists, I don't know what to do : ( Theoretically, you can get their from another bootable ISO image. But I doubt about it...

3. Copy new additional files into "C:\DSL".

4. Download cdrtools (Window$-version of *nix cdrtools). Don't forget download cygwin1.dll and DLLs for mkisofs. Copy mkisofs.exe, her DLLs and cygwin1.dll into WINDOWS folder (just for convenience).

5. Open Window$ command prompt. Enter to target folder "C:\DSL". Type command:
    Code:
    mkisofs -R -J -T -v -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -V "MyDSL" -b isolinux\isolinux.bin -c isolinux\boot.cat -o ..\new_file.iso .

or if files "isolinux.bin" and "boot.cat" is located in a "boot" folder:

mkisofs -R -J -T -v -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -V "MyDSL" -b boot\isolinux.bin -c boot\boot.cat -o ..\new_file.iso .
    Important note: path to files "isolinux.bin" and "boot.cat" must be relative! I.e. "isolinux\isolinux.bin", not "C:\DSL\isolinux\isolinux.bin"!

6. Run command. If all right, then you get bootable ISO image "C:\new_file.iso" with new additional files and folders.

I completely check this manual. It must work fine (of course if necessary files is exists into original ISO image).