Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by EdSquareCat So I take it that I should split the partition that I made with Partition magic into a root partition and a /home partition, and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by EdSquareCat View Post
    So I take it that I should split the partition that I made with Partition magic into a root partition and a /home partition, and I should make more later when I learn more, after installation?
    That's a good start but you have to think from now which partition you will split later (in order to add other partitions), so that you make it a little larger. If I were you, I would make the / partition larger, because if I decided to split /home later, even if it is possible, there is always a risk of loosing personal data, while with the / partition you wii have only to reinstall the system, if anything goes wrong.
    The majority of linuxians use /, /home and swap

Just Joined!
    Hmmm I see. I have a 25 gig partition for Linux. I'll make 10 for / and 15 for /home. Maybe I'll expand it and make it 15 and 15. I could also just expand it later to add my other partitions right on, right? What is swap? Do I need it?

If you have less than 1GB RAM then create 512MB SWAP partition, else you dont need it.
    IMHO, One should create 512MB SWAP partition only, no matter how much RAM one has.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSquareCat View Post
    Hmmm I see. I have a 25 gig partition for Linux. I'll make 10 for / and 15 for /home. Maybe I'll expand it and make it 15 and 15. I could also just expand it later to add my other partitions right on, right? What is swap? Do I need it?
    The swap is as an extention to ram but you dont need it.
    So you can have 4 primary partitions maximum. If you think that you will need more than 4 totally (Windows included) you can have 3 primary and 1 extended. The extended partition is like a container in which you can make many logical partitions. Logical partitions do the work as primary ones, but they are not bootable as far as I know.

Expanding later is possible, but doing it safely is not garanteed; it depends on your schema (logical partitions or not, order of partition etc)

If you think you will keep Windows, you may also need a fat partition so that both systems can share the same data (music, videos etc)

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    If you have less than 1GB RAM then create 512MB SWAP partition, else you dont need it.
    IMHO, One should create 512MB SWAP partition only, no matter how much RAM one has.
    The rule of thumb is for a person to create a SWAP partition as twice the amount of RAM he or she has.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent-X
    The rule of thumb is for a person to create a SWAP partition as twice the amount of RAM he or she has.
    This is not true any more. I have 512MB RAM and 512MB SWAP partition. My system has never used more than 50MB SWAP space under any circumstances. I have tested it on several machines and Servers.
    If one has enough RAM, there is no need of SWAP Partition.

Well, maybe so. However, I've read some threads on different forums where people would use more SWAP. One condition comes to using programming languages, such as FORTRAN. You may be right, however; for I have not read a computer science book in some years.

I do a lot of programming in Fortran. Could you be a bit more specific?

oz
    forum.guy
    The double the RAM for the swap file size (rule of thumb) was constructed during a period when most users had much less RAM on their boxes. I have 1 GB of RAM and never make more than a 512 MB swap partition for my own use. Even then, the swap file has never been touched, meaning I could dispose of it all together. However, I have a very large hard drive, so keep the swap partition just in case it should be ever be called upon.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    To be honest personally I think keeping /tmp seperate is one of the most important steps. Anyone has write access to /tmp so it can be easy to fill up root or to create executables there. Make sure you secure that first.
    You are right and thanks for reminding this precaution. The problem of filling up the root partition is not so important, because you can install a program to warn if a partition gets full. Some distros take care (natively) For example Ubuntu informs you and Mepis has an option to clean the /tmp on boot. I think Madriva as well.

But the creation of the executables is a real problem. As I dont have a separate partition for the /tmp, I suppose that I must change the /tmp permissions from

drwxrwxrwt to drwxrwxrwT in order to remove the execute bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast