Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is what I am trying to do. I am not sure if I am using Ubuntu 7.04 yet or DSL. I may just use both to make personal, customized ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to create a bootable ISO?

This is what I am trying to do. I am not sure if I am using Ubuntu 7.04 yet or DSL. I may just use both to make personal, customized cd's for myself.

I want to customize a live/installation cd.

Now the first thing I want to learn is how to make a bootable cd.

This is what I tried so far with both Ubuntu and DSL.

I extracted the contents of both Ubuntu 7.04 and DSL 3.3 ISO's. I then used K3b to change it back to an ISO and then burnt the image to disk. It wouldn't boot. So then I just extracted the files from the original ISO's and just copied them on the cd. That didn't work either.

I extracted them so I could try and change a few things, for example I kept the images of somethings the same but I just changed the color of the image to test it and see what it looked like and if it worked well. I also added a folder with a few images, mp3's and documents. (All of this was just a test and I am trying to start as basic as I can.)

So my first question is, how do I create a bootable CD after I extract the Ubuntu 7.04 files or the DSL 3.3 files?

I found a program called Reconstructor I want to use later. First I just need to figure this out.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this help ? but i use grub to make such CD's , ubuntu uses syslinux i think !

mkisofs -R -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o grub.iso iso/

where iso contains all what i want to burn in the CD's and the configuration file of grub+ the eltorito_stage2 (this the only one required to make bootable cd's) , also the initrd to tell the boot kernel to load the required modules into the memory from the CD .

Wish these steps i manage to make a bootable CD wish load the required kernel modules and open a bash console with the busybox utilities.

Regards-
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    You can use remastersys as well.
    Add this repository to your sources.list:
    deb http://www.linuxmint.com/repository/ romeo/