Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone...some advice please I recently uninstalled Clamav using the make uninstall command however i did a quick search using find –gid clamav gid and found more than a few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

uninstalling Clamav

Hi everyone...some advice please

I recently uninstalled Clamav using the make uninstall command however i did a quick search using find –gid clamav gid and found more than a few files remaining. There were the obvious conf files and update files but there was also a wealth of files in the /var/amavis directory. So my question is can i blindly delete these files seeing as they belonged to a group exclusively for Clamav or should i be more cautious?

cheers
    " I didn't know it was a picture of his wife! I thought it was a publicity shot form Planet Of the Apes."

Just Joined!
    In such cases when I am not sure about a file, I send it to the root's trashcan or I rename it in a way which is convenient for searching later. For example, amavis.txt becomes renamed.amavis.txt

If something goes wrong (for example in the case of shared libraries) you can easily fix the problem later. If everything is OK, I delete them after some time.