Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I was wondering if you knew of any GUI versions of linux (Other than DSL) that would run relatively fast on my machine. It's specs are: 233 Mhz 96 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What version do you reccomend for....

Hey, I was wondering if you knew of any GUI versions of linux (Other than DSL) that would run relatively fast on my machine. It's specs are:
    233 Mhz
    96 Megs of ram
    4 Gig HD

Thanks for your help!

Just Joined!
    Hi, you can try puppy or antix.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info, puppy looks like a great version!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    if you want to try ubuntu based system Xubuntu is highly recommended

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only required you to have 64 MB RAM.

To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 64 MB RAM, but it is recommended to use at least 128 MB RAM.
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you

Just Joined!
    That sounds like a good thing on paper, since I really want to try ubuntu, but in practice, I dont have access to either more memory sticks, or the funds to purchase them. Alas, being underage, with no job, and having to work with what you got. I will definately try and fandangle a memory stick outta one of my friends though, cause I really want ubuntu!

Just Joined!
    Fluxbuntu is another choice but not for now. They have some problems now and personally I dont trust it. If the new version gutsy gibbon is ok, then you can give it a try. It is ubuntu with fluxbox desktop.

Antix is a lightweight distro based on Mepis core, ubuntu repositories and fluxbox desktop. So you have excellent hardware support, out-of the box system ( codecs, drivers, etc already installed), huge repositories where you find anything and finally a low-ressource desktop.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Debian, Slackware and VectorLinux will probably run on that hardware as long as you use a lightweight GUI like Fluxbox.

Please check This Poll. Members have posted valuable suggestions already. Try as many as you can and decide yourself now. Locked.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First