Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a Linux newbie and am looking for ideas on how I can start a Linux process from an application running on a Windows workstation. Does anyone have any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Starting a Linux process from Windows OS

I am a Linux newbie and am looking for ideas on how I can start a Linux process from an application running on a Windows workstation. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have no idea what kind of capability Linux offers in this area.

Thanks!

Linux Guru
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If you mean to start a Linux process on that Windows system, I'm afraid that's impossible. You can't possibly run a Linux process on the Windows kernel. If anything, you may want to look at Cygwin, which provides a UNIX-like environment under the Windows kernel.

If you mean to start a Linux process on another machine running Linux on a network request from a Windows machine, then that's very possible. If only you would provide some details as to how you want to do that, it would be easier to advice you on it.

Just Joined!

More information

On a Windows workstation I have a control application that will start and stop processes running on a Linux workstation. What are the alternatives on how do to this? The Windows application is build using C#.

I am definitely not trying to start Linux processes on a Windows workstation.

Thanks for your help!

Linux User

web

I don't know very much about this sort of thing. But i would use php on apache on the linux machine to control the processes then access these using either a web browser or the web client control in c#.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Guru
    Maybe you're looking for something like Webmin?

Linux Engineer
    or putty

so are you looking for a way to run a program that you create yourself that will connect to a linux workstation and run some commands if so this is possible. i have seen it done at my work using vb. i dont know exactly how i will keep my eyes open if this is what you want to beable to do.

if this is not what you want to do the best thing i can think of would be to telnet or ssh on the linux box using putty and log in and run the commands to start the process. or use webmin good luck
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If you mean to start a Linux process on that Windows system, I'm afraid that's impossible. You can't possibly run a Linux process on the Windows kernel. If anything, you may want to look at Cygwin, which provides a UNIX-like environment under the Windows kernel.

If you mean to start a Linux process on another machine running Linux on a network request from a Windows machine, then that's very possible. If only you would provide some details as to how you want to do that, it would be easier to advice you on it.

Just Joined!
    one popular option is to run a system-level "virtual machine," which literally allows you to run Linux and Windows at the same time. A virtual machine is a software application that emulates many of the hardware features of your system,tricking the operation system into believing that is running on a physical computer .Using a virtual machine, you can boot Linux and then run Windows at the same time---with both Linux and Windows applications on your desktop at once. Alternately, you can boot Windows and run Linux under the virtual machine. While there is some performance loss when using virtual machines,many people are very happy employing for casual use , such as running a Windows-based word processor within a Linux desktop. JThe mosty popular virtual machines are VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/), which is a commercial product, and Plex86(http://wwwlex86.org/),which is an open source project.
    ((OREILLY Linux 4TH EDITION)) PAGE: 28 &29
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BTW: what do you mean by linux process? the first scripts ,when the system boots, rc files? yes you can see all of these process when you use vmware

Just Joined!
    colinux.org
    Cooperative Linux is the first working free and open source method for optimally running Linux on Microsoft Windows natively. More generally, Cooperative Linux (short-named coLinux) is a port of the Linux kernel that allows it to run cooperatively alongside another operating system on a single machine. For instance, it allows one to freely run Linux on Windows 2000/XP, without using a commercial PC virtualization software such as VMware, in a way which is much more optimal than using any general purpose PC virtualization software. In its current condition, it allows us to run the KNOPPIX Japanese Edition on Windows