Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been downloading different types of linux for awhile now, and can't get ANY to run properly on this machine. I've used linux before so I'd like to think it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

I need an alternate OS

I've been downloading different types of linux for awhile now, and can't get ANY to run properly on this machine. I've used linux before so I'd like to think it isn't me. Most of the distros I tried are LiveCDs and they don't even boot properly. I just need a recommendation or something that will work with this hardware without giving me a lot of problems. My hardware is:
    Processor-Core2Duo E6300
    HDD(1)-320GB SATA (has Windows on it)
    HDD(2)-80GB IDE (what I want to put linux on)
    Graphics-Nvidia Geforce 7300 GT
    DVD drive-Lite-on SATA DVD burner

Maybe some of you could point me in the right direction of something I could try. I've tried KNOPPIX, Gentoo, SLAX, DamnSmallLinux, Sabayon, FreeBSD, PCBSD, DesktopBSD, and some others that I can't recall because I pitched the cds. I'm running low on CD-r's so I'd like to find an OS that works without having to buy more . Thanks.

The specs you gave shouldn't be giving you any trouble. What kind of motherboard and onboard chipsets does the computer have? Can you be more specific about what "doesn't work" with the distros you've tried? Do they give error messages at all?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I have never heard a single hardware detection complaint of Sabayon. It detects and configures all Graphics Cards, Wireless and other Hardware perfectly.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

kbk
    My problem with Sabayon was that I couldn't get my HD installation to work. I had a thread in the installation section about it. The problem I had with KNOPPIX was that it freezes during boot (I don't remember exactly WHERE this happens, but it does, I'll check later), the problem with Gentoo was that it couldn't start run level 3. FreeBSD, PCBSD, and Desktop BSD all stopped after checking for my hard drives. My motherboard is an MSI P965 Neo, I don't see any chipset info on my hardware diagnostic program though..

Quote Originally Posted by kbk View Post
    My problem with Sabayon was that I couldn't get my HD installation to work. I had a thread in the installation section about it. The problem I had with KNOPPIX was that it freezes during boot (I don't remember exactly WHERE this happens, but it does, I'll check later), the problem with Gentoo was that it couldn't start run level 3. FreeBSD, PCBSD, and Desktop BSD all stopped after checking for my hard drives.
    Hmm... It sounds like something in your box is giving these OSes fits... have you tried perhaps unplugging the SATA drive?

My motherboard is an MSI P965 Neo, I don't see any chipset info on my hardware diagnostic program though..
    Just FYI, according to the MSI page for this motherboard, it uses a pretty standard Intel P965/ICH8 chipset. I'm at a loss as to why it's giving you issues; that's unusual for Intel chipsets, in my experience.

MSI Computer Corp. - Product
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

kbk
    I actually have tried unplugging the SATA drive and it still does no good. I had thought for awhile that maybe it was the SATA dvd drive but I used an IDE one too and still couldn't get anything working.

With that hardware, you should have no problems.

Have you tried different kernel parameters on boot?

My hardware is fairly standard (see my sig), but I can only get Suse and Knoppix to boot if I pass 'noapic' to the kernel at boot time. Same for Sabayon -- which also needed 'nodmraid'.

Have you tried anything like this?

EDIT: Could you get the Sabayon liveDVD working?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

kbk
    Yes I was able to get the Sabayon liveDVD to work, and even got it to install, but after installation I couldn't boot the system. It would just give me a GRUB prompt and I couldn't get any commands to work. I have tried the kernel perameters with KNOPPIX and it didn't work for that at all, I will have to give that a try for a few of the others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kbk View Post
    Yes I was able to get the Sabayon liveDVD to work, and even got it to install, but after installation I couldn't boot the system. It would just give me a GRUB prompt and I couldn't get any commands to work.
    This implies that the drive you installed grub stage 1 on is working fine, but the drive that it points to (i.e. the one where /boot is mounted) is not. Do you know for sure that the IDE drive is OK?

This won't, however, explain why Knoppix booted, but the fact that the Sabayon liveDVD was OK suggests to me that Knoppix would boot if you could figure out the kernel parameters it needs.

It sounds like a hdd problem to me.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

kbk
    Well I can view the files on the /boot partition of my ide hard drive, and everything appears to be there. So I don't think it's a hard drive problem, here is a link to my thread in installation about my problems with Sabayon: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...g-sabayon.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast