Embedded system design and development help?
Hello, long time lurker first time poster, but that aside i've been looking for development boards to start embedded system programming and development and this is all foggy to me. I think i got the vauge idea how it would work but i have no clue where to start, but could someone clear these up for me?
1. whats a good cheap beginner development board? i was thinking about starting with a beagle board, is there any other development boards out there with alot of support, ease of use, and alot of learning potential?
2. do the variations in cpu architecture, limit the boards abilities, functions etc besides speed? or does it not matter and the Linux kernel is that versatile?
3. whats the difference between a system on a chip and a development board?
whats their pros and cons?
4. how do expansions boards and screens (the ones with direct connections that are tft and lcd based) to work, and how do i get the board to talk to them?
5. So if i read the o'reilly book right it would go something like this?
(1. I talk to the developement board though serial port or usb?
(2. then build the kernel and the file system for said board using a toolchain (forgot the name :o ) or using the proprietary tools from the boards maker?
(3.then push the kernel over serial or usb? then the filesystem?
(4.?????? haven't got that far yet
or am i telling myself lies to make this seem easier then it is?
Thank you for your time :)