I've had MDK 10.1 Running on this sytem for about six months, never had any problems. About a month ago, I upgraded to Mandriva 2005LE. Re-started, ran fine. I had 18 days of uptime with no issues. Then one day I came home, and the box was froze solid. No combo of keys would work, couldn't ssh in from anywhere, nothing... Did the hard reset. I got an error that my hd was full. That's odd, I thought. I reparition and give / another 1Gb so I can boot. Once I'm in, I see that the file /var/log/messages is about 2Gb. That's *really* weird, I didn't even think I could have files that big! The file is full, as in every single line, with messages from my firewall. I block the addy, and another appears, and another and another. Finally, after blocking about ten or so addy's, the messages stop appearing so fast, although they still appear quite frequently now.
Since this event, I've been unable to maintain any sort of uptime. My box freezes solid *everytime* after about two hours. I can't figure it out. There's nothing out of the ordinary in any logs that I've looked in. Here's what I've tried:
- noapic, nolapic boot option
- removing all sorts of services including power management
- uninstalling the nvidia drivers (NForce MB only, not the Gforece video drivers)
- running memtest86 for hours
- blowing air conditioned air directly from my AC vent to the open box via a 15" fan (in case it was over heating)
- and finally, I tried every cron job on it's own to make sure those weren't doing it.
I'm running out of things to try. Short of completely re-installing the OS, I don't know what to do. At this point, I'm pretty much willing to try anything.
Anyone have any ideas?