PClinuxOS jigdo iso creation using LXF DVD101 (Jan 2008)
Well, the trouble required to get this working has prompted me to make my notes available to others!
So, for anyone trying to make an PClinuxOSiso using the "Linux Format" magazine provided DVD... read on.
Specifically: DVD101 from Jan 2008.
Distro of interest: PClinuxOS
Problem: jigdo executable is not on the disk! Even though it should be, as everything tries to access it on the DVD as "/Essentials/Jigdo/jigdo-file".
1. Download http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-bin-0.7.3.tar.bz2 from the atterer.net site.
2. Extract to your home directory and you should get a directory /home/user/jigdo-bin-0.7.3" containing the jigdo binaries.
3. Copy the script "mkiso" from the DVD ("media:/sr0/Distros/PCLinuxOS" in my case) to your home directory too, change its permissions to make it writable and open it in your favorite editor.
4. Edit the file as follows:
4.1 Change line 3 to point to your DVD drive root, i.e. DVDRoot='/media/LXFDVD101' in my case.
4.2 Change line 36 to point to your newly-extracted jigdo-file binary, i.e. jigdofile=/home/user/jigdo-bin-0.7.3/jigdo-file in my case.
5. Save the mkiso script.
6. Open a terminal and run the ./mkiso script.
7. You should see something like this:
[user@unknown temp]$ ./mkiso
Found 75 of the 75 files required by the template
Successfully created `/home/user//pclinuxos-2007.iso'
ISO image written to /home/user//pclinuxos-2007.iso
Verifying MD5 checksums...
ISO images are good, and ready to burn to CD-R(W)
All is then well, and you have you iso. Time to burn all those apt-get package downloads to a DVD, so that you can pass that on too.
Why not just remaster my install? Yes, well, um remasterme doesn't work, even if I force the package back as suggested by some. Sigh.