RH: system hangs, network connects work, service don't
I got a serious problem with RedHat 7.3 and 8.0:
- Server crashes after 1 to 21 days
- it's not possible to forsee thes events
- mainly occured during peak-hours but today it wasn't
- server still accepts tcpip-connections on ports where services were running before - but (most) services don't respond. e.g. you can telnet to port 110 (pop3), get a connect but can't use pop3 because service doesn't respond.
- DNS still works - guess because it's running completely in memory and not forking any subprocesses / reading from harddisk afaik
- ssh etc. don't work either
- console doesn't work (not even Ctrl-Alt-Del etc.)
exchanged hardware completely, moved from RH 7.3 to RH 8.0 in this step. always used latest kernels from redhat network.
Anybody have similar problems or can imagine a solution?
Even changed harddisks: only common thing to my two servers was they were both using Maxtor-harddisks. Exchanged them in the new server against Seagate-ones and it seemed to work. But today again it crashed - so it didn't help :-(
Any suggestions? PLEASE
It's not a hardware problem - definitiv!
It's not a hardware-Problem because I have the same on two completely different machines with completely different hardware. Until two weeks ago only only thing common to both servers were Maxtor-harddisks (although the new PC had brand new harddisks!) but I exchanged them against Seagate one's. That wasn't the problem either :-((
On the old server I used Redhat 7.3 with all updates from RHN (Redhat Network), on the new I use 8.0 with all updates. So even software is mostly different.
I don't know what else to do about it, what else to try. I can't even say when (because of what reason) the error occurs. It reoccurs after 1 day to 4 weeks unexpectedly - and not because of high load or anything like that.
Anybody got an idea how to track these problems down?
There are no suspicious entries in the log-files either :-(