Unsuccessful Kernel Upgrade
:( :( :(
I have a problem with a kernel upgrade and/or rpm that is driving me nuts. Here is the history:
- 1. Installed Red Hat 8.0 on new computer with Soltek motherboard.
2. RH8 boots and runs, but on board network does not work. Missing drivers? Nvidia chips.
3. Downloaded upgraded kernel for RH8 from Nvidia web site.
4. Installed kernel upgrade using rpm. Appears successful.
5. Rebooted system, but grub boot loader shows 2.4.18-14 (the original), but does not show the new 2.4.28-27 kernel.
6. Tried to install again and got rpm error message that the package is already installed.
7. Ran rpm with the -U (upgrade) option and got the same error message.
8. Ran rpm with the -F (freshen) option without both error messages and change.
9. Ran rpm with the -e (erase) message and got the "package not installed" message again.
10. Ran command "grep -R 2.4.18 /* > grep-results.txt" and "2.4.18-14" was found is many files, but "2.4.18-27" was no where to be found.
I need help to find out why the kernel upgrade is not installed even though rpm says it is and correct the problem. Until I accomplish that, I am limited to running windows on my new box.
Anyone have any ideas?