Using Cron, I might have made a boo boo
This is my first post here so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I'm trying to setup an automated backup at a client's site. They are using OpenSuse 10.3 with smb service installed to create a file server for their windows network. I'm using a line in crontab with rsync to do thier backups. I hear all of these great things about rsync, and honestly this is the first time I've used it but it seems really efficient to me so when I set it up I don't understand why its going so slow. I open up the processes and theres a whole bunch of copies of rsync going and I'm thinking well maybe it created a bunch of threads for itself to help copy the large bulk of data that we're transferring. However, I just had an epiphany. I think I made a mistake in crontab. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I use 0 22 * * * in crontab it will run at 10 o'clock everyday. However, if I use * 22 * * * in crontab it will run at every minute of 10 o'clock everyday. Essentially creating 60 copies of the same rsync transfer.
Please tell me that what I just said is correct because that would explain my problems. Yeah I used the second one. **palm -> face**