Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm thinking about bying a motorola rokr cell phone. I'm not a cell phone person at all, and it's confusing. I really want a linux based cell phone, and motorola ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

linux cell phone help

I'm thinking about bying a motorola rokr cell phone. I'm not a cell phone person at all, and it's confusing. I really want a linux based cell phone, and motorola rokr is on that linux cell phone list....However.... do cell phone O.S' vary from country to country ? because on the specs on this phone it says " windows media player" and on the O.S it says " not available. also confusing that itunes works on this phone. is itunes linux compatible now ? thanks for any advice/explainations.

I think you are talking about the MOTOROKR Z6. From what I see it is saying that "Easily drag and drop music from PC to phone via Microsoft® Windows Media™ Player 11".

Source of informaion

Linux Newbie
    that's exactly my point wm, what is windoe media player doing on a linux based phone ? shouldn't it be totem or something. I wish there was a phone that i could just install ubuntu or xubuntu on and use it like that. I guess i have to read more about all this phone stuff.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What I am saying that that people can easily use Windows Media Player to put music on their phone. It doesn't have it on the phone at all. The phone itself has one of those regular media players that is made for the phone.

hey u can read this article on wiki to have a clear idea Motorola ROKR E6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also
    I have a doubt. Can we install softwares on linux based cell phones like on that on a Symbain .

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasz09 View Post
    I like motorola phone, so I am using Motorola Q9m. The Motorola Q9m boasts an attractive design with an excellent full QWERTY keyboard. The smart phone now runs Windows Mobile 6, has integrated Bluetooth with A2DP support as well as EV-DO, and works with Verizon's V Cast Music Store. It offers clear call quality and solid multimedia performance. It's great!!!
    Personally, I wouldn't touch a mobile device with MS software on it to save my life! WinCE and WinMobile are not considered to be particularly reliable, and they are much more vulnerable to malware attacks. I'd consider an Android-based phone, however as since it is Linux-based and FOSS, it will be improved much more rapidly over time to where it will make MS-based devices obsolete (JMHO)!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!