Find the answer to your Linux question:
If anyone is able to help with the following issue, it'd be much appreciated. A *very* pretty girl has handed me a duff Asus tablet which is running an unknown ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Looking for help T/S help on an Asus tablet

If anyone is able to help with the following issue, it'd be much appreciated.
    A *very* pretty girl has handed me a duff Asus tablet which is running an unknown flavour of Linex to fix.

On boot up, it will run bios and POST, I'll get hard-drive light flicker, and an 'Asus starting system' screen. And then it goes wrong...

A screen briefly appears with a diagonal cross pointer icon, and then the screen flickers on and off, with the on cycle typically showing nothing or a flashing cursor in the top left, or sometimes a clearly messed up signal.

Booting from a Linex boot USB stick makes no difference.
    I left Memtest x86 (which I've never actually used before...) running. When I initially started it, the machine did it's usual trick, so I went to the pub. But I was greeted in the morning with a static screen displaying:

[ 16.590000] sdc: assuming drive cashe: write through
    [ 16.630000] sdc: assuming drive cashe: write through

Has anyone got any idea of things to try or possible issues?

Bear in mind that I know next to nothing about Linex...

I'm slightly befuddled, as if it was a display issue, then I find it bizarre that the memtest results showed up. If it was software I'd expect to be able to boot from USB. I'm wondering if it is indeed a memory issue.

Many thanks;
    Siranui

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It sounds like the system has become a brick... . See if you cat get into the BIOS. You should be able to tell it to display the results of the POST instead of the normal BIOS splash screen on bootup, or to run more advanced diagnostics.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Cheers;

I can get into BIOS, but quiet boot is already off, so it is *supposed* to be displaying POST afterwards, but isn't, and going straight to 'Haha you suck' mode and flickering the screen around.

I am genuinely stumped. The wretched thing has now done the rounds in the office, and it looks decidedly like I am not going to be able to cash in on the promised meal out by fixing it!

Post script:
    Although I've noticed that when hitting the power button to turn the thing off, it kindly displays the 'system shutting down' screen. That's nice of it.

khf
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by siranui View Post
    Cheers;

I can get into BIOS, but quiet boot is already off, so it is *supposed* to be displaying POST afterwards, but isn't, and going straight to 'Haha you suck' mode and flickering the screen around.

I am genuinely stumped. The wretched thing has now done the rounds in the office, and it looks decidedly like I am not going to be able to cash in on the promised meal out by fixing it!

Post script:
    Although I've noticed that when hitting the power button to turn the thing off, it kindly displays the 'system shutting down' screen. That's nice of it.
    .. sounds to me as one of the boot executables has been corrupted. You cannot read the USB because the file system has not been installed. Re-install Linux.

I don't know if thiis will help . Won't hurt to read it though.

Reset CMOS
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home