Find the answer to your Linux question:
Distrowatch list linux for all kinds of computers, laptops, and netbooks, but I don't see anything for handheld appliances like the Palm, iphone, etc. Is this a case of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Best linux for PDA's and Phones

Distrowatch list linux for all kinds of computers, laptops, and netbooks, but I don't see anything for handheld appliances like the Palm, iphone, etc. Is this a case of the lines are so close that regular linux such as Tiny core is used for this application, or is it a custom proposition?
    What would be the best linux to port to one of these devices?

Android?
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

I know linux is embeded in a lot of phones and divices, but is it custom written for each device, or is it something that the consumer can download and put on another device?

Maybe I'm overthinking this and missing the obvious. I just got to wondering what type of linux woujld run on my old Palm IIIc, and started wondering what distro of linux was available for download to portable devices. I guess I'm confusing the phone "android" with the "android OS".

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Thanks for the links Roky. If I understand them right, linux is embedded in many hand held devices, and those with a lot more knowledge than I have can download the source code and write aps. Unfortunately, unlike laptops and desktops, there is no distro that can be applied to multiple models of devices across competing manufacturers specs. Sounds like there needs to be common phone and PDA standards so that there could be a phonebuntu or PDAbuntu, something far beyond my meager skills.