Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I have a question, hopefully someone will be able to answer it. I got a Sciphone i68 off of ebay recently: a cheap chinese ripoff of the iphone. It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Android on Smartphone?

Ok, I have a question, hopefully someone will be able to answer it.

I got a Sciphone i68 off of ebay recently: a cheap chinese ripoff of the iphone.

It comes with a totally Java-based OS, and its really cruddy.

I want to know how to and if I can install Android OS on it.

So:

1) How does one install the Android OS on a phone? Where do i get the OS from? is it a distribution I can somehow install on my phone my just plugging it in through USB, double clicking the icon, and then when I reboot my phone, voilą, it works? Or is it more complicated than that? How would I go about installing Android OS on this thing? What do I need to know? Are there tutorials on it?

2)If I can't get my hands on Android OS, or if the Android is going to be too slow on it, are there any other lightweight Linux distros I can install instead that might work? How would I go about installing that?

Sorry, I'm also pretty much a noob, but I'm trying to learn what I can.

Thanks,

Tayzirov

I read this from Sciphone i68 FAQ

Is anyone porting Google Android operating system to the Sciphone i68+?
    Simply put, the Sciphone i68+ phones do not have the horse-power to run Android. But on a related note, there are unlocked genuine Android phones from China, in particular the Sciphone N19 and N21 and soon there will be the Miphone A3.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I read this from Sciphone i68 FAQ

Quote:
    Is anyone porting Google Android operating system to the Sciphone i68+?
    Simply put, the Sciphone i68+ phones do not have the horse-power to run Android. But on a related note, there are unlocked genuine Android phones from China, in particular the Sciphone N19 and N21 and soon there will be the Miphone A3.
    Dang. See the thing is, i think it might be a different chipset than the usual Sciphone i68, because its a little bit of a newer model. Can anyone tell me how to do it anyways? Maybe i'll do it with a different OS?

Linux Newbie
    I have not done this, but hopefully I can point you in the right direction. Maybe some fun can be had of it, if nothing else.

The source for Android is (I think) here: Get Android Source Code | Android Open Source
    I can almost promise that you will need to compile it yourself, per the specifics of your phone.

In order to install it onto the phone, I imagine you will have to create a Java executable for the phone's current OS that will install it, either from an SD card or from a USB network connection.

...That's the concept, at least. Best of luck.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Critical elements:

1. CPU
    2. RAM
    3. Flash storage
    4. Micro SD card capability
    5. Radio hardware
    6. Video hardware
    7. Screen/Touchscreen hardware
    8. Packaging of a new OS for installation by the current phone OS.
    9. Availability of Android drivers for 5, 6, and 7.

Anyway, sounds like a very educational project. Even if you cannot install Android on this phone, you will learn a lot about the phone as well as Android. Good luck!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Wow
    thanks a lot guys, really, at least you've already solved half my problems.

Now the question is: Where would I go to learn how to do all that? Can you guys point me in the right direction for learning resources specific to this project?