Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have a tablet pc (HP Pavilion Entertainment PC tx2500), which currently runs Windows Vista (*gasp*). Based on prodding by my friends, I am considering switching to Linux. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking Linux distro suggestion for tablet

Hi all,
    I have a tablet pc (HP Pavilion Entertainment PC tx2500), which currently runs Windows Vista (*gasp*). Based on prodding by my friends, I am considering switching to Linux. However, I'm confused about considerably different opinions on what distro to use, so I would like so advice.

A major priority would be speed (fast boot-up time, etc) and low resource usage. However, since I am completely new to Linux, I'd also prefer a distro that's relatively easy to use out-of-the-box, without complex driver issues or conflicting packages. (I'm ok with light command line, as long as it's straightforward.)

Finally, any advice/tricks about said distros would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Just Joined!
    I would think that android would be the best choice. Its based on linux and is made to run on tablets too

khf
    Just Joined!
    Install Xubuntu from Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu

This is a limited version of the Ubuntu distribution. Many Chinese tablets are developed using Ubuntu now.

Android will have problems with the screen size.

Welcome to the forums. If you go to distrowatch.com, and click on the search function, then netbooks, it will bring up 17 distro's recommended for netbooks. Download a few and see which one fits your needs and equipment best. Have fun.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAxis View Post
    I would think that android would be the best choice. Its based on linux and is made to run on tablets too
    The problem with this idea is that Android is currently an ARM processor oriented OS. However, current (latest) distributions of Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora support tablets and their touch interfaces quite nicely. FYI, the HP tablets are really just laptops with a touch-capable screen and a screen that can pivot, rotate, and collapse onto the body of the computer, screen facing up. My lawyer has one of these, though he "upgraded" to Windows 7. Originally he was running Vista. Some day I'll get him onto Linux...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!