Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, I finally have an Android phone. Anybody here get around to custom-building Android?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

building android

So, I finally have an Android phone. Anybody here get around to custom-building Android?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Not yet, though I installed the SDK and emulator to test that stuff out. Do you have those pieces as yet? Also, you will need to unlock the boot loader on the phone when you are ready to install a modified OS on it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    I have the SDK but the emulator runs too disgustingly slow on my computers (I plan on using the adb for testing and debugging). The guy that I got the phone from had already put a custom ROM on it; it's rooted and unlocked, but I have yet to do anything besides play with it yet. I'm trying to finish reading the Dev guide before I do anything, but that's just application development, not OS modification.

Linux Newbie
    ....a quick distraction led me to this, the Android Platform Developer's Guide, specifically the "porting" section. It looks promising. I'll be reading into it after I finish the dev. guide

Just Joined!
    androidforums.com very knowledgeable people over there on android phones.