Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys! My Sony Ericsson phone can easily connect to the internet via my router at home. However, I am puzzled because when in the malls, even if my phone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wifi @ Home But Not in the Malls

Hi guys!

My Sony Ericsson phone can easily connect to the internet via my router at home.

However, I am puzzled because when in the malls, even if my phone can detect and connect to the mall free wifi services I can't access yahoo or LF etc, it just can't go "beyond the router" so to speak.

For what it's worth, my laptop can connect to the wifi and access sites in the same malls.

May I kindly know if I still have to configure my phone to solve this problem please?

Gosh, I hope I made myself clear

Thank you!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

a lot of the time at those places before you can use it, you have to accept something in the browser, like the first page access you go to will ask you to accept some terms and conditions before it will allow you access (this is after you connect)

The systems often aren't designed for mobile devices, so the little button to accept the terms and conditions can be hard to see. If you have popups blocked, you may not even see the agreement page, and thus never get a valid connection.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What sgosnell and coopstah13 said. I've had the same problem with my Nexus One, and had to open the browser to any web site, bringing up the "agree to terms" window, find and click on the "yes, I agree that you are not responsible for anything" button, and then the other web-enabled applications (maps, etc) would work.

FWIW, I had this issue arise at the Borders Books coffee shop the other day. No problem once I remembered to navigate to their portal page.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!